Off-Topic > Gallery

Sai'Kar's Sprites and Stuff

(1/26) > >>

SaiKar:
For some reason I feel compelled to start my own sprite gallery. So, okay.

Please note that everything in this thread is OPEN DOMAIN. You can use this stuff in your own games or edit it however you choose. I'd prefer if you gave credit to me (SaiKar) if you use it in some project, but honestly I'm not that uptight on that sort of thing.

For the battlecharacters, I'm reducing them to a single conglomerate image to make the post scroll less fiendishly. I included a little white space so that it should be easy to put them back into their original files. If you are having trouble with this, go to http://charas-project.net/resources.php , search for SaiKar, and click on the Battlecharas link to find the original files.

I'll be occasionally adding to this thread as I create/find new stuff.

SAI'KAR

The character of my namesake, Sai'Kar is a "Mithuk Solom", which translates roughly to "Divine Warrior" in our language. She is one of the strongest members of the micron race, a civilization different than humans that has been in hibernation for thousands of years while a magic spell to transform them into beings of pure energy has brewed. She abandons that fate to join the heroes in saving the world.

Sai's battle character was the first one I ever created and I'm still happy with how it turned out. I'd probably shade things considerably differently now, but I don't really have many actual complaints.

Sai was going to be in her own game at one point, so she ended up with a few "extra" graphics like the swimsuit swimming things and the darker uniform with short hair. Never went anywhere though.

RMXP version YES!

JASON

Jason is the main character of the CoD games. He is a fire caster and uses "empathy" (a form of psychic powers) to reshape the battlefield. His weapon is a wooden club, similar to a wand, that contains a link to the Empathi Field, a cosmic energy nexus that powers psychic abilities.

This was the first character that I created full charaset sprites for. Ultimately, some of them were too darn annoying, like that dying pose. But man does that fire he's holding animate nicely.

Aww, look how cute he and Erika look there.

BILL

Based on the RTP hero Alex, of course. Bill in my vision is an aggressive swordsman with a small amount of fire magic.

I gave Bill a very aggressive swordsman's stance that takes advantage of his strength to swing the blade overhead for a nasty stroke. Bill also has some interesting jumping and stabbing motinos that I never really did a whole lot with.

ERIKA

Undoubtedly the most powerful character in CoD2, Erika combines wind magic with fierce sworsmanship in a style of combat that proves deadly in almost all circumstances. By using the power of the wind masterfully to help augment her own muscle movement, she can run circles around an opponent, dodge anything short of the fastest bullets, and even float slowly in any direction through the air. She is historically the fastest character in the entire CoD universe.

If memory serves, I created the battle character first, then Ruler of the Dark made a character set out of it for me along with that swimming pose, and I went from there. By now I can make my own character sets (they're far easier than I feared) but I am still very grateful for the help.

Erika's sword stance is based off of Chrono's from Chrono Triggger. She holds her blade across her body in what appears very agressive but actually lets her defend herself well.

Her wind floating animation is by far and large my favorite pose, ever. Actually, a lot of Erika's poses look really good. I think hers came out the best.

Erika was one of the first to be translated into RMXP style. I only made that sprite last weekend so she doesn't have a full character yet.

MATT

Matt is an ethical scientist, who believes both in the pursuit of knowledge and the safety of the planet. He knows earth magic. He's also Bill's brother.

The original Matt sprite was the black-skinned RTP thief hero, chosen because the goggles gave sort of a sense of being some sort of scientist. But since Matt (and Bill, and actually quite a few others) are based on real people, real-life Matt was never very happy about being portrayed as a black character. I made this battlecharacter as a request and Matt wanted to use it to portray his character. I didn't much like this because I felt this sprite was too "rugged" and totally destroyed the scientist part of the character, but I went along with it and made some poses anyway. This story has a very odd ending that I actually visited Long Island last week, met with the real Matt, and created the RMXP sprite standing there next to Erika as a compromise. I should probably go back and change all the original stuff to fit that new sprite, but man, that's such a pain!

The green weapon Matt is holding is a laser sword, which is pretty much a lightsaber from Star Wars. I gave him what I thought was a standard Jedi pose; blade straight upright next to the body, ready to intercept incoming lasers or whatnot.

AWALDOCK

CoD2's anti-hero, Awaldock is a heavily armed swordsman with masters over the ice element. His "Ice Cage" technique is feared far and wide.

As he was supposed to be a trained military man, I gave Awaldock a more typical sword pose that looks pretty sweet from either the front or the side. When you line Bill, Erika, and Awaldock up in a row they each hold their blades in a very distinct way and I think that's sorta nifty.

Awal's battlecharacter is probably my most popular one, especially after I added the body armor to the generator as a resource. Apparently nobody figured out that it's just an edit of the armored male trooper with the front of the armor changed to a breastplate. Hah!

Though it barely shows up in the sprite (it's much larger in the artwork), the symbol on Awaldock's chest is a combination of the letters "T" and "Y." TY stands for "thank you." When the first CoD game was starting up a guy named Awaldock drew some very sweet concept drawings for many of the heroes. He made it into CoD2 as a main character because of this. Support your game creators, people; we're an appreciative lot!

CAMEOS

I did these without asking permission of the character's creator, mostly because I can.

Myrin is Midnight's character. When she started doing Sai artwork, I responded by doing a Myrin bchar set, and the rest is history. She was an important character in my Outpost project as an assistant to the player.

I actually had full character sets for the entire first row of Myrins and some of the second. Unfortunately, the loss of my computer last summer destroyed a huge amount of these poses, including all of the Myrins and several CoD character sets. Alas fallen ones, ye are remembered. Since I have the proto-sprites here I could conceptually recreate the entire character sets again, but Outpost is long dead and I'm too lazy.

REQUESTED CHARACTERS

From back when I did requests often. I was given a characterset (that I did not make, but I'm including them anyway in case you want to do make a character out of them) and created a battle character out of it. To the best of my knowledge, not a single project using any of the bchars I ever made even hit demo stage. But it did add a lot of quality bchars out on the community, so I guess that's good.

This section is wildly incomplete and I'll be tossing stuff in here every now and then or by request.

MORE TO COME

Prpl_Mage:
I think I've seen some of these before.
But I can't put my finger on what CoD was.

SaiKar:
CoD2 aka Control of Destiny 2 is my main RPGMaker game. It has like 20 hours of gameplay. I released it here a while ago, but it had some sorta serious bugs at one point so it wasn't very well-recieved.

Red Giant:
This is why you're the king. Queen. Hermaphromonarch.

But you've got more than that! Don't sell yourself short. My personal favourite is the grey-haired bard complete with pose of embardulating musicality.

SaiKar:
It's not that I'm selling my short. It's that this is taking a very long time. Man, I got stuff all over the place.

Since I still sprite I'll be adding to this thread indefinately.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version