Game Creation > Completed Games and Demos

Engalia: The Wager

(1/3) > >>

Sated:
ENGALIA: THE WAGER

RPGMAKER.NET "RM VENTURE" ONE WEEK CONTEST GAME, FEBRUARY 2014!
WON A "BADGE OF BEAUTY" FOR AESTHETICS IN THE CONTEST!
WON A "BADGE OF TALES" FOR STORYTELLING IN THE CONTEST!

...::: What People Are Saying :::...

"The RTP characters never looked so good. This was my most anticipated entry just because of this." - Little Wing Guy

"The fact that character dialogue existed for any combination of characters you chose, in scenes regularly repeated throughout the dungeon experience, created personal moments that were actually quite a nice touch." - CashmereCat

...::: Storyline and Setting :::...

Engalia, a nation steeped in ancient lore that's dotted with uncountable ruins from civilisations passed. Flanked to the north by uninhabitable, snow-covered tundra, and to the south by arid deserts that only disparate, savage tribes call home, Engalia is the largest kindgom of man known in the modern era. Ruled by a fair and courteous Queen, and having been at peace for more than a generation, Engalia's recent prosperity has lead to an influx of skilled sellswords and adventurers willing to plunge into the depths of caves, caverns and ruins that were all but ignored during past times of war.

This story begins in the sourthern town of Neodym, where after a few too many meads a sellsword named Zack is challenged by his good friend Burns to find a historic treasure horde supposedly lost when the "legendary explorers" Alex and Brian entered the nearby Neodymous Cave and never came out. Using any combination of thirteen other adventurers that he sees fit to accompany him, Zack must retrieve the lost treasure without meeting the same dark end as those who have gone seeking it before him. What he doesn't know is that the evil protecting this treasure is far more devious than he and his sellsword friend imagine!

...::: Gameplay, Features and Comments :::...

Engalia: The Wager is a short RPG originally made in only a week as part of the RM Venture event, before being patched up slightly after the contest was over. The total development time was approximately 2-3 weeks. It features a traditional active-time battle system, 14 different heroes to choose from, a handful of (hopefully) intelligent puzzle sequences, and some (what I think are) beautifully designed dungeons... or as many of these things as I could make in such a short time!

...::: Reviews, Images and Downloads :::...

Read Reviews Here: http://rpgmaker.net/games/6014/reviews/
View The Full Image Gallery Here: http://rpgmaker.net/games/6014/images/
Download The Game Here: http://rpgmaker.net/games/6014/downloads/

Sated:
I released a new version (v1.2) of this game over on RMN. There are three reasons for releasing this new version of the game:

* The first reason is to fix a big that was preventing enemies from using skills that buff their stats. I'd forgotten to set those skills up properly (because of a bug in the RM2K3 engine, they need to be set up a certain way), which made it so that enemies wouldn't ever consider using them over their other skills. This bug should now be fixed, I hope.
* The second reason was to update the mapping so that the caves looked less square and had a little bit more depth. This basically meant adding more "diagonal" sections to the maps. I've also added new tiles to the chipsets that allow the "outside" parts of the caves to appear as if they're fading to black, which adds a little bit more depth and realism to the mapping.
* Finally, and perhaps most importantly, I've extended the size of the caves in order to give the player more exploration to do. This is based on criticism offered in Cashmere's review. Chests will now be something that you need to be more proactive about looking for, and the caves should feel less linear to explore as a result.Enjoy :)

Momeka:
Woah, that's the best use of the RTP graphics I've seen. Good work.

Sated:
Thanks! I actually need to update the screenshots since I recently made some edits to the chipsets so that the caves have less square edges (basically by editing the diagonal tiles so that they could be used more ubiquitously), but I was pretty happy with the original mapping given the time constraints I had when making this game originally.

Zoltar:
Wow!  This was so fun and with only RTP elements to do it with too. Firstly your skills being your attack commands was genius then having the defend refresh your MP was double genius.  8)  Makes me want to try it for my game. But my favorite part? You used every RTP character and gave them all unique and cool skills to use as well as the option to use them in any order I wanted. *Huggles all the adorable sprites* I really like this game. Equally challenging and fun. Five... No Ten Stars!
 :*: :*: :*: :*: :*::*: :*: :*: :*: :*:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version