Game Creation > Other Makers

Are there any 3d engines with drag-and-drop mechanics?

(1/2) > >>

Kilyle:
So... you know how in RPG Maker or Game Maker you create a world by sticking objects into a grid, and then you run the game and see how your character interacts with the objects?  (If you're good, you do a lot of other stuff, but this is just basic.)  Where you can see in the planning stage where items are, like terrain or floor tiles, and barrels you've put there, and such?

Is there a 3d engine that does a similar thing?  I'm particularly interested in ones with Oculus Rift support, if that's available.

I realize that once you get into 3d mode you have a lot more versatility, but I'm willing to sacrifice versatility a bit in hopes of user-friendliness and a shorter development time.  I'd like to be able to design in a 2d mode (ideally where I can switch perspective to look at the ceiling or any of the walls to make sure the textures there look right, then back to floor layout for most of the work), and then have the game play in a 3d mode with physics where there's a base physics setup and I can play around with the numbers if I care to (make you jump higher, run longer, etc.).

I realize this would probably make it much harder to have an organic feel to the world -- that I'd be stuck with a kind of blocky feel.  I'm okay with that.  I mean, I remember making levels with Doom and then years later with Left 4 Dead, but it's time-consuming and I'd rather not have to relearn that all right now.

So like, say I map out the floor on a unit grid, and set up walls (and doorways and windows) as the lines between tiles.  And I can define the height of the walls, maybe, or maybe they have a set height of say 3 unit-blocks high (with the character being 2 unit-blocks high, capable of jumping onto a one-block item).  And I can have multiple levels, where I set up stairs that go from this level to that level.

And then I have an object layer, where I set up (on the 2d floor grid) which objects are on the ground, like boxes, barrels, sinks and stoves and chairs and statues and what have you, trees and vines and rocks and such, and there's a lot of predefined objects but also the possibility to make your own custom objects in some fashion.  And maybe I can stack objects on top of each other, that'd be good, but keep it simple with the 2d interface.

Then I can look at the wall and add simple wall-hang objects, like paintings, that don't just look like part of the wallpaper, but don't have their own hitboxes.  Or maybe some things, like torches, do.  And maybe I could add things hanging from the ceiling, like a chandelier.

And for certain objects, they have different states (like on/off or open/closed), and state changes can trigger code.  And some items you can put things in, like the ever-popular key-in-a-toilet (for some reason), or that the top drawer of the dresser has Random Dresser Junk A and the bottom drawer has Random Dresser Junk B and a letter (which you can pick up and read).

And there are creatures, which you can choose existing or custom textures for, or make your own if you know how.  Definitely a Humanoid or several variants, and a few variants of Animal, and some Monsters, maybe some Flying or the like, maybe some weirder ones.  You get to define their movements and reaction to the sight of the player and such.  But there should be some basic AI's you can attach them to, like "Simple Enemy" or "Slow Enemy" or "Fast Enemy," "Motionless NPC" or "Guard NPC" or whatever.  Tweak some numbers for their attacks and such just like in RPG Maker.

Being able to make use of water-filled areas would be a plus.  Having slippery tiles would also be a plus, as would damage tiles and things that could set you on fire or afflict you with other status ailments such as a slowly-getting-worse cold effect that makes your screen get frostbite over time, or a poison effect that makes the screen wonky and maybe starts subtly messing with your control scheme or something.

Does anyone know of an engine that's at all like this?  Or has the switch to 3d moved past 2d drag-and-drop mechanics altogether?

Prpl_Mage:
I simple search gave me Indie Game maker for 3d games but can check on monday

Fisherson:
3D Engines that are like a Maker are hard to find outside the consoles, which have horrible anti-user friendly setups, and you have to keep in mind editing and importing can be limited in those. Honestly it's one reason I stick with RPG maker 2003: user friendly importing and editing. Even if they had something clever enough to make a FF10 quality game in minutes for free I'd likely not switch cause of the limited powers of the maker. Oh and my favorite ...Packs often are limited and expensive from my past researches. The ones that aren't are usually shoddy at best.

Kilyle:

--- Quote from: Fisherson on December 13, 2015, 03:46:26 AM ---3D Engines that are like a Maker are hard to find outside the consoles

--- End quote ---
Definitely don't want console-based; I have had nothing but bad experiences even trying them (technically, via emulation, but still).  Plus, I want to be able to port easily to PC and not be limited by medium.  Or at least, if limited medium is necessary, PC is the limited medium I would go for.

Fisherson:

--- Quote from: Kilyle on December 13, 2015, 06:45:12 AM ---Definitely don't want console-based; I have had nothing but bad experiences even trying them (technically, via emulation, but still).  Plus, I want to be able to port easily to PC and not be limited by medium.  Or at least, if limited medium is necessary, PC is the limited medium I would go for.

--- End quote ---

Hmm have you tried Steam? I always find all kinds of crazy things are on it when I use the search function. Sometimes so many I have to pinch myself to make sure I'm not having some crazy dream like when I was kid and I imagined the perfect game hen bought it only to awake and it not be there!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version