Off-Topic > All of all!

Programming!

(1/3) > >>

Apex:
Hey all! (of all.)

As much as I like my current job teaching, it's not financially stable enough to support a family. So I'm in the market for a new job, and a new skill. Having used computers for my entire life, I figure I should pursue programming!

I'm currently 2 months into my venture, and have sweeped through CodeAcademy.com's lessons over Javascript, HTML/CSS, and partially went through Angular JS, and JQuery. (I plan to finish them)

However, now I'm trying to learn C# (it's one of the two primary languages Unity uses, along with Javascript.) and to be completely honest, it's pretty tough. I've been through a few interactive tutorial websites, and have completed a few lessons throughout the internet, but I'm having a tough time.

I've installed Visual Studio Community 2015, and I'm using the MSDN site tutorials to learn the ropes, and so far it's a lot of fun. (Shockingly, learning is fun when you aren't doing it for grades.)

So, here's the big question:

Can you program?

If so...

* What languages do you know?
* How'd you learn them?
* What's your recommendation?
* Are you employed using those skills?I'm not necessarily asking for help or anything, I'm just curious given the nature of this site, and the nature of our shared hobby/interest in RPGMaker.

Prpl_Mage:
I did learn the basics in upper secondary school but haven't really used it much. C+, C# and some java mostly. The logic behind the code is still there, I can read code and get a pretty good understanding of what is happenign and why. But I've forgotten the language so to speak, when you don't use a language you forget phrases and some grammar. Doesn't get any better when you get some of them confused.

Grandy:
* Can you program?

Yep.

* What languages do you know?

HTML/CSS, JS, Java and C#.

* How'd you learn them?

Took a programming class last year. I've got a document saying I'm smert and everything.

* What's your recommendation?

That depends.

Javascript is the easiest and most widely used language because it's relatively simple, but it's also the most finnicky and prone to crashing, again, because it is simpler.

C# is the most 'professional' language, as in, you're more likely to find a job if you know that one.

Java is the weird middle term that is neither easy nor will get you a job.

HTML/CSS is like, the basics, so it's both easy and something every employer will just assume you know how to use.

And while not a language rec, I'd say Brackets is an easier tool to use than Visual Studio.

* Are you employed using those skills?

Maybe. I took an interview just today, in fact, and am waiting for an answer.

That said, I'm 90% sure I failed miserably at it, because they wanted someone who knew advanced math on top of programming, and I haven't done a simple division calculation in over 6 years, let alone sin and cosin stuff. I know I failed the math part of the test they gave me, but there's still a small chance they could hire me despite that.

* I'm not necessarily asking for help or anything,

Well, if I can help, feel free to ask.

Keep in mind my method of programming is "throw codes at Unity and see if it sticks". I don't exactly plan what I'm doing, so in the end everything is an unoptimized mess.

Prpl_Mage:

--- Quote from: Grandy on August 05, 2016, 05:43:05 AM ---HTML/CSS is like, the basics, so it's both easy and something every employer will just assume you know how to use.

--- End quote ---

Oh yeah, I knew that too, but have even less recollection of certain lines, but it's pretty easy once you get into it. Not as advanced, the advanced stuff is usualyl javascripts after all

Grandy:

--- Quote from: Prpl_Mage on August 05, 2016, 07:03:47 AM --- have even less recollection of certain lines,
--- End quote ---

Oh, I forget lines all the time. Whenever I program I need to have w3schools on tab just to check "how did I make arrays again... o right it's []"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version