Game Creation > RPG Maker

[RM2k3] The Holy Whale

<< < (2/2)

Moosetroop11:
I LOVE the idea of having a chess king as the main character : )

Nice work on the random rooms.

Donut:
A little bit of news!
I was willing to implement random shops in the labyrinth so that the player would buy the skills instead of finding them, so I've coded a rather simple shop system. Since I'm now set on the fact that the game will be puzzle-driven, I've had the idea, instead of adding gold, that the shopkeeper would be a vampire, and would request blood (i.e. Life Force) as payment. Each of the three skills costs 50% of your life bar. The shop also sells potion for 20%, which recover 20% of your lifebar (yes, it's the same amount, it is done on purpose, as you can also heal on random shrines). The last item is a special item but requires you to give 100% of your life. It's up to the player to find how he can buy it without dying ;)

So now that all systems are good and working (except Final Boss but I've yet to find an entertaining way to do it, so will probably do near the end), I'm running into the level design!

Donut:
Hello guys!

A quick update. Holy Whale is not dead (very not so), but has been moved to Game Maker instead of RPG Maker 2003. This implied that I coded everything by hand (GML is much more fun to code with than C# in Unity imho). Or rather, I started porting it last week, and all moves and choices (King, Tower, Fool, and Knights) are working smoothly, well smoothier than in RM2k3, and no lag in inputs or whatever weird stuff that used to happen in RM2k3.

Why did I do that? Firstly to improve my coding skills. Secondly, if I want to go to the industry, using an actual engine in which you have to do everything by hand is much more rewarding. I know, it's not Unity :P But I really like Game Maker. It's like Unity, but much more user friendly, with good menus, and nothing fundamental hidden in random functions names (and the online API is much more clearer, as well). FInally, it should also allow me to do stuff more freely, such as dialogue systems and cutscenes, but other things that would take insane weird events in RM2k3 but quite simple if you can code it from scratch (yay arrays, yay proper pointers).

I decided to change some little things for this version, like the moves other than the Kings are now considered as "items" which is that if you don't have anymore of it, then you're stuck with default King movement. I think this will induce the little plus strategy I tried to put before (with decreasing life with time but which didn't work out very well in the end). I'm keeping the graphics but edited some parts RM2k3 was bitching about.

I've got nothing exciting to show that hasn't been shown in the RM2k3 version unfortunately, but hopefully, now that I am unemployed, it should come fast!

Thanks for reading :)

Prpl_Mage:
Sounds like quite the project, make sure to update us with your progress

Momeka:
Ah man, it's great to hear you're still working on this. I'm hyped!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version