Off-Topic > All of all!

Other engines?

(1/3) > >>

Donut:
Hey all!

Just a quick question as I know some of you don't use only RPG Maker. I'd like to do other types of games than RPG or derivatives. I know it's highly possible to do with RPG Maker and a bit of will, but I'd rather use something that actually might be useful in the industry, as RM is far from being a professionnally recognized tool for game creation.

It's been a while but I used to work with Unity, as I know some C# (far from being the most proficient C# expert though), and I used to like it (well it's been nearly +7y since I last used it so...). However I've heard nowadays a lot of complaints regarding how Unity changed the past few years (using C# for syntax but nothing much to do with C# set of mind; overcomplications of simple things; expensive assets for making stuff easier to do...). This scares me a bit. Not because I don't want to learn it again, but I'm not so fond of spending 3y on a single project just for the sake of it.

Are there any game engines you could recommend (I know Fortran - lol it's for uni - C, C#, some python) that would make things not less heavy in terms of programing but logical, preferably visual-based (I take less time doing stuff if they are visual, but it 's not a problem if it's not), that doesn't require years in the making, with an active community? Once again I'm not afraid to learn (I love it): but something which doesn't take years to make projects with would be nice. If you tell me Unity is the best (which I'm willing to admit), do you know of any assets that could help fastening the process?

Cheers =)

Moosetroop11:
I've also been interested in getting into unity as a complete beginner (my only programming experience comes from when I made flash games with AS3) so I'd be interested to hear what y'all think too.

zuhane:
I've heard that, on a scale of RPG Maker 2003 to C++, the later GameMaker studio is more towards the rm2k3 side, giving a little less
versatility than Unity, but really speeding up creation and being a lot more visual. Since I last checked I think Hyper Light Drifter was made using
GameMaker.

I personally code in XNA (C# library) but there's absolutely no visual aspect to it.

In terms of community/tutorials/forum response time/resources, it seems that Unity has the lead at the moment.

I've seen that lots of new engines are on the up and coming, but newer ones always have a smaller community base, so
maybe look at Source or Unreal 3?

Also, RPG Maker VX made Lisa: The Painful, so that might be fairly decent.

While we're on topic, is there like a favourite RPG Maker engine at the moment? I want to go back to rm2k3, but it's such a massive
pain in the arse having to convert every single image to indexed PNGs or 256-colour bitmaps.

Prpl_Mage:
I think rpgm MV and VX are the big ones today, they keep the formula of the old engines but allowing a lot more freedom as well as free code. They suit their purpose of course as long as you keep away from the rtp stuff, still a major turn off for people.

Gamemaker is also a popular choice, several top games on steam have been done with gamemaker, Zuhane mentioned HLD, but there is also Undertale, some other thing that I can't really remember... I also think, not sure, that magicite was made with gamemaker, it has some of the tell signs.

Otherwise I think that Unity is the one, it's problably the most known one today.

Momeka:
We been using Unity for the last five years at the place I work. I don't mind working in it. It's not the best optimized as the engine is pretty general for making any type of game. But it's not like a game automatically takes years to make because of it. Been using from anything as small 2D gamejam games made over a day to the current project that is a 3D vr game.
It might be a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it it's pretty quick to make stuff in it. The community around it is really active as well and there is plenty of resources to look up.

There is also Unreal engine, never used it. From what I heard it's really focused for making fps and a bit of a hassle to use if you want to make something else.

Also gamemaker, haven't really used it much. But I'd put it somewhere between Unity and Rpgmaker as it's pretty open to make what you want and got the visual coding part of the rpg makers.

Then there is Pico-8, probably not what you're looking for as it's really limited to the amount of memory you can work with. It's like coding for an old console but with lua instead of assembley. It's fun but not really feasible for making larger stuff in.

@Zuh: MV and VX Ace are the biggest ones these days. Don't really like them that much myself, mostly cause of the size of the tiles and graphics. Have trouble making such a large stuff look good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version