Off-Topic > All of all!

Games of 2017

<< < (2/5) > >>

Donut:
A good year for me (thanks for being unemployed since August xD I guess..)
43 Games finished

12-02-17 - Beat: Brütal Legend  (360)
I am unsure about it. I loved the ambiance, the music, the story (even though quite simple), the gameplay in general. BUT the collectibles are too many, and the battles with the minions to summon and stuff are so badly made. Sidequests are a bit dull as well. Could have been better.

10-31-17 - Completed: Super Mario 64  (N64)
It took me... 20 years? But I finally managed to complete with all 120 starts SM64. I remember as a kid, it was hard, the controls and camera were horrible, and I could not get past the first Bowser fight. THis year it was a lot easier, I got used to the clunky camera and some dodgy moves, and I had a lot of fun and felt rewarded. Some of the stars were still a hassle to get, but a good challenge in the end. Maybe I was just to young the first few times I tried

09-21-17 - Completed: The Lord of The Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring  (PS2)
I won't say a thing on that game, other than it's lame.

09-20-17 - Beat: Bully  (PS2)
A GTA based on school life. I had a lot more fun than all of the GTAs I've done, maybe because there is slightly less freedom so that scared me less. I enjoyed it quite a lot.

09-17-17 - Beat: The Four Heroes of Light - A Final Fantasy Anecdote  (NDS)
As a spiritual prequel to the Bravely Default series, it has the same problems: too easy (except the last boss which, in a regular play, is just IMPOSSIBLE to beat), a very lame level design, a cute character design, nice music and story. I enjoyed it more than BD because that last one in the second part was a pain.

09-11-17 - Beat: Bujingai Swordmaster  (PS2)
From what I read on the internet, this is one of the best BTA ever created. I'd just like to laugh at that. Last battle was cool though.

09-09-17 - Completed: Runaway III - A Twist of Fate  (PC)
The best of the 3 Runaways (not difficult). Still has a lot of the defaults of the first two games, but it finally looks decent.
 I do not understand how adventure games fan workship this series so much. Desperation?

09-08-17 - Completed: Runaway II - The Dream of the Turtle  (PC)
See the first one.

09-06-17 - Completed: Broken Sword 5  (PC)
After disastrous 3rd and 4th episode, Georges and Nicole come back in better shape! Some parts of the game seemed forced and rushed, and we don't visit the world as much as the first or second BS (or the amateur 1.5), but it's still a lot more improved. It's a shame it was so short.

08-30-17 - Completed: Grandia III  (PS2)
YES! THIS IS WHAT GRANDIA 1 SHOULD HAVE BEEN! Ok. I hate Grandia 1. I don't understand why people love it so much and speak of adventures with a big A, when I've just been bored to hell (more than with Forever Kingdom!) for the hours I played it (and gave up many times to the point it will probably be the only game I'll NEVER finish). But Grandia 3...
 The battle system is just so sharp, the graphics so pretty, and the music so good that the linearity of the exploration and the relatively classic story are not a problem at all.

08-30-17 - Completed: Splatoon 2  (Switch)
Didn't have a WiiU so I never played the first one, but damn, this is a FUN game. Never had that much fun in a TPS ever before.

08-29-17 - Completed: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe  (Switch)
Still not as good as Double Dash, but fun nonetheless, especially with friends around. I'm not so sure the unlocking of elements with coins, when the game can cheat so easily (remnant of MK Wii), is a clever move...

08-13-17 - Beat: Star Ocean - The Last Hope  (360)
Typical tri-Ace game. Solid battle system, but with little subtleties, or too little to be efficient. Rather forgettable story (without speaking about the last boss, 5 Millions HP... XD). One-sided cliché characters. Lame music (Hi Sakuraba).

08-10-17 - Completed: Castlevania - Dawn Of Sorrow  (NDS)
My first Castlevania. I apparently chose badly my first Castlevania.

08-07-17 - Completed: Time Hollow  (NDS)
Very interesting ideas in this game. It's not fully using the time idea, but quite well. There are a few plot-holes and stuff that don't get along, but I enjoyed. Some of it reminded me of the ending of Shadow Hearts Covenant. A good adventure game for the DS.

08-04-17 - Completed: Mario and Luigi - Partners in Time  (NDS)
This was a lot more painful to finish than Bowser Inside Story, mainly because some of the "special power" of the babies were given directly to the adults in BiS, so I felt a bit cheated. Otherwise, a solid and fun RPG, maybe too long like BiS. The battle system is really well made, it's graphically super cute and very Mario-esque.

07-13-17 - Beat: Mario and Luigi - Bowser Inside Story  (NDS)
I started BiS not being sure I'd like it, as I had a really hard time liking Superstar Saga. It turned out to be a very good game, maybe a bit too long. The story sis really WTF but it was fun to follow, and the gameplay was as solid as a rock.

07-07-17 - Beat: Final Fantasy XV  (PS4)
Hmm... Hmmm... How to lose 23h of my life. Only the Leviathan battle (and following CG) and the last CG excited me. Everything else is so clunky, it hurts to even think of this as a Final Fantasy. Loading times, choppy framerate, uninteresting dialogs, lack of background, stupid characters, lame music (I never thought I'd say that from Shinomura), camera, magic, summon system, sidequests. OH THE HORROR! The worse is that I can see the potential but it never gets through, so I could only be disappointed when I saw something interesting. Good ideas, but badly made. The additions are as bad as the original game. ANd the game was supposed to be optimised for the PS4 Pro. It's obviously not.
I can't decide if Lightning Returns was better or not though, so let's put them aside and forget about them

06-20-17 - Completed: Valkyrie Profile - Covenant of the PLume  (NDS)
Typical tri-Ace game. DO I have to go all over it again? XD

06-09-17 - Completed: Jake Hunter Detective Story - Memories of the Past  (NDS)
A very chatty Visual Novel, similar to Hotel Dusk and Ace Attorney series. The cases are good, but graphics-wise I found it awful xD

05-24-17 - Completed: Crystal Beans from Dungeon Explorers  (SNES)
Easy and short. You can choose different classes to go kill the Evil. The game is finished in roughly 5h.

05-23-17- Completed: Monstania  (SNES)
Once again, easy and short. 3h. Monstania is a T-RPG in real time, meaning that the enemies move as you move. It's quite a cute game, with sometimes interesting puzzles, but the AI is so stupid it hurts (hey, the bear!). Still, a pleasant game.

05-22-17 - Completed: Famicom Tantei Club Part II - Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo  (SNES)
Again a visual novel. This was rather a cute one, with a guy investigating the death of a school-girl, with some ghosts things on the way. There was a bit too much travel involved, but it was nicely tied.

05-13-17 - Completed: Firewatch  (PC)
I was really disappointed by Firewatch. They sold me a contemplative game. I've got some of that of course, but they felt the need to add a very bad story to it. Most of it makes no sense at all. It ruined the game for me. It really did, and I'm sad about it because I was enjoying just going around.

05-12-17 - Beat: Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Soul Hackers  (3DS)
The first SMT I actually beat! It was much more simple than the others and I finally understood some obscure gameplay subtleties from the other games in the series, so I'm really chuffed to do the other ones. I loved the story, despite a rather...
 stupid last boss.

05-08-17 - Completed: Wonder Boy - The Dragon's Trap  (Switch)
Just as good as the original, but graphically better, masterpiece. Too expensive for the price it was set when I got it (20 Euros).

05-06-17 - Completed: I am Setsuna  (Switch)
Do Square Enix still create good games? With I am Setsuna, I could finally say yes, a thing I wasn't able to say for years.
 I loves the simplicity of it, the very good ideas of the battle system, the graphics, the piano soundtrack. It's not a must-do game, but it is a solid one, especially if you like old-school JRPGs.

05-05-17 - Completed: THe Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild  (Switch)
This is 2017 Masterpiece. One of the best Zeldas ever created, it has become one of my favourite game with FF9, Chrono Cross, Link's Awakening and Jazz Jackrabbit 2. Never ever an Open World had sucked me in that way. There's always something to do, plenty of ways to do it. I haven't yet bought the DLCs, but I'm going to.

03-22-17 -  Beat: Final Fantasy Explorers  (3DS)
Just lame to the bone.

03-01-17 - Completed: Chase - Cold Case Investigations - Distant Memories  (3DS)
I expected much better from Cing, who did Hotel Dusk and Last Window. So much more. The case here is OK-ish, but nothing exciting, and this first episode (I hope it's just an episode otherwise I scream) is finished in less than an hour. And it's sold 10Euros...

02-17-17 - Completed: Dragon Quest  (SNES)
I think everyone here knows Dragon Quest. The SNES version makes it prettier than the NES one, but it's the same game otherwise. Challenging if you don't spend time looting and grinding.

02-02-17 - Beat: From the Abyss  (NDS)
I've heard a lot of bad things from this game, but if you expect what it is, that is a D-RPG, then it's a solid one. What I liked is that you can do litterally anything of your character, and still beat it. The game doesn't make you choose a class nor does it blocks you from upgrading a stat over another. You're 100% free.

02-01-17 - Completed: Randal's Monday  (PC)
A good Point and Click, but hell, it is waaaaay too long. Randal lives the same day over and over again, but with sometimes slight changes. The goal is to get out of this time loop of course, but some things just don't add up. Especially when it comes to the story, for example in the jail. The game is otherwise full of references, and has some pretty good logical puzzles.

01-30-17 - Completed: Gemini Rue  (PC)
It's like Blade Runner crossed with IA. It's very very very good. And unexpected. For a guy who made this alone, WOW.
 I highly recommend it if you like P&C games

01-29-17 - Completed: So Blonde! Return to the Forgotten Island  (NDS)
Erm...

01-28-17 - Completed: Bravely Default  (3DS)
It's pretty (reminded me of FF9), the battle system is solid, BUT the game is way too easy except the last boss, which is nearly impossible to kill if you don't use a SPECIFIC set of classes (for a game preaxhing the variety of jobs...), and the level design is just catastrophic. The second part of the game is annoying too. We get it the first time, why make us go through 4 times? Other than that it's pretty enjoyable.

01-26-17 - Beat: The Legend of Zelda - The Wind Waker  (GCN)
One of my nemesis in the Zelda franchise. Not as bad as the Capcom GBC/GBA ones, but damn, I suffered with that game. I've been trying and trying but always giving up. I was soooo bored all the time. Beyond possibilities. And it''s a shame because it's the best Ganon of the series, so much swag, the last cutscene :O
But all of the rest... The boat... the Triforce pieces.... OH MON DIEU! Kill me xD

01-18-17 - Completed: Runaway - A Road Adventure  (PC)
So it truns out Runaway is an esteemed P&C Adventure game. But why? The only reason I can see is that when it was released, P&C games were kinda has-been, and fans had little to play of the genre. No puzzle makes sense, both characters are despicable, the game is ugly AF and the 3D is just hurting my eyes. The dialogs are.. I don't know. It's as if you were asking Eminem to write like Shakespeare. And the jokes....

01-14-17 - Completed: The Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask 3D  (3DS)
I had a hard time on the N64 version, but MM is a really good game, which reminded me a lot of Link's Awakening, my favourite Zelda game. There's a lot to do, and a lot that changes from the regular Zeldas we had. Thinking about it now, a lot of this foresees Breath of The Wild. I was however disappointed that the last boss was so easy to kill, with or without the ultimate weapon

01-12-17 - Completed: Anna's Quest  (PC)
Once again, a strong P&C from Daedalic. Logical puzzles, interesting story and a well made soundtrack. There's not much else to say aahah

01-10-17 - Completed: The Little Acre  (PC)
Pretty, but disappointing. Sold like a challenging P&C, TLA is however clearly made for kids. The universe is however very interesting and some of it reminded me of Pan's Labyrinth, with less gory things in it.

01-10-17 - Completed: Quest RPG - Brian's Journey  (GBC)
I was told never to play the N64 version of it, so I tried the GBC one. It's actually quite fun! Since you're a wizard, most of the damage in battle is done from spells. Spells are formed from combinations of elements and there are many combinations, I'm not even sure I've done them all.

01-03-17 - Beat: The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina Of Time 3D  (3DS)
I've decided to start the first game of 2017 by something big. I never managed to beat OoT on the N64 version, because I got bored of it when you become adult. I still got bored then, but managed to carry on. For me, OoT is a good game, but largely overrated. Many other Zelda games do better in my opinion, and many other games as well. Maybe at the time of release, it was legitimate to consider it as the best game of all times, but definitely not now. I however enjoyed it, except for the passage in the Zora domain, and the Gerudo Fortress. Some very clunky passages, but otherwise the dungeons were still a master art of level design.

I've started 2018 with The Legend of Dragoons now that I found a physical copy of it, and L.A. Noire on the Switch. I'm looking forward to the complete edition of Titan Quest (I had bought it on PC, but it always refused to run on my laptop), Battle Chasers Nightware and to finish some more games of my collections.

Archem:

--- Quote from: Donut on January 03, 2018, 10:28:30 AM ---08-10-17 - Completed: Castlevania - Dawn Of Sorrow  (NDS)
My first Castlevania. I apparently chose badly my first Castlevania.

--- End quote ---
Hey, Dawn of Sorrow was my first Castlevania, too. I loved it, and I hold it in high regards among the Metroidvania-styled Castlevanias. It's possible that I'm playing favorites with it because it was my introduction, but I still think it was excellent. Drawing seals to finish bosses was a bit annoying, though.

Moosetroop11:
I don't play as many games as you lot : p I can't even remember what was this year and what was last year...

Nier Automata - I'm most of the way through game 3 and loving it. I wasn't sure at the beginning but it gets better and better as it goes on.

Pokemon Sun - Was that this year? It was quite good and I love Pyukumuku but I think this was my first ever experience of Pokemon fatigue, sadly - I just didn't plough into the game, try and get shineys, and do all the other stuff that I usually love doing. I don't know if that's the game's fault or mine.

Fire Emblem Birthright - Compared to Awakening, I actually thought the plot and dialogue was really poor, which was a shame. Maybe if I got all of the games and experienced the 'full experience' it would have been better, but I couldn't be bothered - this one might have actually been my least favourite in the whole series, which I've played since the first GBA one.

FF15 - I disagree with you lot, I thought it was pretty good. The camping, cooking and fishing were wonderful and I loved just wandering the world with a party of buddies. The plot was clearly rushed which was a shame, but some bits of the game, particularly where Aranea is involved, gave me classic FF feels without being nostalgia driven, so I was pretty happy.

FF5 - I replayed most of 5 and I forgot how simplistic the plot is haha :p I hadn't played it in ages and I had an inflated opinion of it, but now it's back below ff4 where it belongs.

Archem:
Honestly, my games thingy has a lot to do with a new year's resolution that I not only actually made (such a rarity for me), but actually bothered to follow through with: Trying to clear out my backlog. To help keep track, I've been making a list of every game I beat for each month of the year. This has been ongoing since 2013, and it's nice to see the progress being made, even if it excludes all the games I keep not finishing/buying and making the backlog worse.

I have gotten a bit better about not buying absurd numbers of games, though. The majority of my Steam sale purchases have been Rocksmith DLC, and I've kept my spending fairly limited, only buying games that I'm actually going to play.

Prpl_Mage:

--- Quote from: Archem on January 04, 2018, 07:23:24 AM ---Honestly, my games thingy has a lot to do with a new year's resolution that I not only actually made (such a rarity for me), but actually bothered to follow through with: Trying to clear out my backlog. To help keep track, I've been making a list of every game I beat for each month of the year. This has been ongoing since 2013, and it's nice to see the progress being made, even if it excludes all the games I keep not finishing/buying and making the backlog worse.

I have gotten a bit better about not buying absurd numbers of games, though. The majority of my Steam sale purchases have been Rocksmith DLC, and I've kept my spending fairly limited, only buying games that I'm actually going to play.

--- End quote ---

I have pretty much the same thing, then I also get pulled in by new games, but in general I feel like the hype about latest installments of games isn't as strong. Maybe it's me or maybe it's the industry that is too crowded these days (or that the new game never releases... Kingdom Hearts 3). Especially Steam games are predominant on my backlist. Sometimes games look good and you buy them for 4-10€ but you never really play them.

I have also tried to cut down on game purchasing, this year wasn't that well. But at least I didn't buy a Switch solely for Breath of the Wild, although I kinda regret it based on the reviews and what people have said about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version