Game Creation > RPG Maker

RPG Maker products 70-80% off in Humble Bundle Store for two more days

(1/1)

Kilyle:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/search?sort=bestselling&search=rpg%20maker

I think by now I own all of them, but thought I'd spread the word at least.  Steep discounts!

Incidentally, I also just ran across an article on the history of the engine, and one thing the article mentioned is "no more ripping sprites and making fan games," and I'm like "What?" because it doesn't seem like that's the sort of thing they can honestly police.  Which makes me wonder -- since I've been out of the fandom for a while, too busy with other projects -- how the fandom has responded to that supposed restriction.

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-secret-history-of-underdog-game-engine-rpg-maker-and-how-it-got-its-bad-reputation

Prpl_Mage:
No it's not the kind of thing they can police but one of the things they can be clear about that they don't support.
If the creators of the software say you can't publish games with resources from other companies then you know if before hand, and they can lean back on it if they receive complains from other companies.

We at Charas could've done the same thing and been like "No ripped sprites for the Charas Generator or Complete Resources" since that infringes on copyrights. But we didn't, and now people can get in trouble for using the generator since there are a bunch of secret of mana, ff, chorno trigger and suidokoden sprites in it.

Kilyle:
Ah.  Yet another way our system is set up weird (companies saying things they may not mean, because to do otherwise causes problems).

As to the generator, I wonder... it's probably too much hassle by now to sort through, but... it'd be useful if there were a "ripped / original" toggle, so people who wanted to use the generator for their own games would know for sure if the resources were original pieces created by fans, as opposed to rips.

What's the terms of service on the generator, anyway?  I never thought to look into it.  Is it meant to be entirely for free games, or can it be (by the terms of the site, a separate issue from whether the specific parts are kosher) used for commercial games?

Fisherson:
Oh please as long as you don't make any money from the game they can't tell you what to put and what not to put in your games! **Eye rolls** If anyone says to me "Take that out of your game it's copyrighted" I'll tell em to go to Tartarus.

In fact thevone thing I hate about MV is the fact all this copyright bull **** makes it have a very limited data base of free stuff if you don't make it yourself.  If they try to make 2003 like that it'll fail. Besides fab games are sometimes better than the first game. Undertale has one right now called Fragile Hearts that's one of a number if titles worth playing.

There's also a gray area where it's hard to say what's a fan game and what's just playing at being related or is giving a false positive. Every time I see a white cat with low red graphics I assume a game is related to HOME or OFF but this isn't always the case or isn't probable. There's also the fact we, as game designers, use previously played games as the basis behind our design UNCONSCIOUSLY. In fact in Juno's Odyssey there's many similarities between Samus Aran and Juno Farstrider I never noticed until a friend pointed them out. If you don't know me you'd think I was lifting Samus' persona but in fact it's coincidence as I'm not even a Metroid fan and the majority of my facts on her come from an episode of Death Battle...-u-; But I can't prove this can I? By the same dent you can't prove otherwise now can you? =P

So in short so wouldn't worry about them deleting people's fan games all Gestapo like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version