Community Projects > Chain Games

Chain Game Survey

(1/7) > >>

Fisherson:
Whelp folks as I'm stuck just playing Chain Games and Divinity to keep my mind off my latest terrible break up I suddenly realize its been a bit since we did one! So why don't we discuss, just discuss no need to start one yet unless we are all in agreement, what the next one should be. Personally, I was going to try and suggest we do one on another engine but since Steam locked me away from my other engines...Let's just assume it'll be on RM 2003 as always:

Thinking this go around we should either go back to fantasy (though not-European or JRPG styled Europe) or finally re-try a Steampunk. Maybe a gendef neutral or an option to choose between three lines? Dunno just throwing it out there.

As for when...Well, when works best? I'm totally open to anytime long as it's not Winter. Honestly, if I ever do finally make even "Merry Fishmas" or another Christmas Chain I'll start in summer and make the deadline July or something lol We have rotten luck with winter. Also only want to work on fun stuff that's not too epic even though I still have full plans to make milestone projects like a chain game sequel or stuff. Just wanna try something that is visual, musically and game mechanic pretty but wraps up nicely. Like Spring Valley. **Pleased Sigh**

So let's hear some suggestions! Remember this is all for fun and games so no idea is bad. ^_-

Oh and incase it wasn't clear I would be starting the first chapter unless anybody objects so don't worry about the awkwardness of being first torchbearer.

Prpl_Mage:
Well it's 2019 so it makes sense to start thinking about it. We've been doing them every two years or so lately. I do think we should keep to the style of Spring Valley if possible, unless Momeka has something new cooking.

I have a list of ideas, but I also realize that most of them won't appeal to the rest of you for being too restrictive perhaps. I had a plan to finish a custom battle system but put that on hold for painting miniatures. It was planned to have battle transitions but instead of rpg battles you would fight enemies topdown like old school zelda in a (semi) random generated arena. The idea was to allow battles like that while not limiting space for puzzles and the like, also making it easier to code enemies. However, it's little more than an idea at this stage.

As for themes:
Post apocalypse
Super Heroes
Really grim and gritty sci fi
Really dark and gothic fantasy
More happy and colours than a nintendo game
Escape room
Murder mystery
Point and click adventure game
Western
Crime/mafia

--- Quote from: Fisherson on January 26, 2019, 11:06:47 PM ---don't worry about the awkwardness of being first torchbearer.

--- End quote ---
Also not sure if that was a reference to my contest game, if it was - cool. Otherwise, boo

Momeka:
I'm always down for more chain games.

--- Quote from: Prpl_Mage on January 27, 2019, 11:37:00 PM ---I do think we should keep to the style of Spring Valley if possible, unless Momeka has something new cooking.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I can do more art, just as long as we settle on a theme and I get a week or two to grind some resources out. Maybe some help with making npc sprites would be nice too.

As for themes I do like the stuff we talked about in some other thread (I don't remember which) about mixing things up. There was some idea about a hub area and then each person designed the zones from that. Which I think could be fun but to make it work we would probably have to do away with leveling up heroes so you can visit each zone in any order.
Another was the idea of doing one based on world building, where one person makes a short game (the size of a chain game chapter) then the next person plays the games and make their own set in the same world. Maybe character crosses path or an npc from another game is the hero in this one etc. In the end we'll do a game selection screen and we'll have this library of games building on and showcasing various aspect of the same world. Should probably limit it somehow, like each game have to take place in the same city to make it more interesting and encourage crossovers.

Another idea I had for a chain game I never got around doing anything with is kinda in the same line as the world building one. But the setting is that a bunch of cowboys/adventurers in a weird west setting is sitting in a saloon telling tall tales. Here too each "chapter" is their own game and instead of being assigned a chapter you get assigned the name of a story like: "Dead Eye Jim and the devils riddle" or "Forlorn Jones in the cursed hollow" and you have to do your game based on the name.

More standard chain game ideas:

Time traveling. A group of time traveling weapon merchants has been traveling to the past and selling high tech weapons to older civilizations. You take the role as an agent of an organization that has to right the wrongs and get the timeline back on track. Could be some fun scenarios like having to help barbarians fend of laser gun wielding Romans or have to protect the coasts of England from vikings in fighter planes.

Prehistorical could be fun too. Playing a tribe of cavemen having to survive the harsh primordial earth. Maybe lizard-men are enslaving the human populations or the ice age is coming and your tribe has to relocate or something.

--- Quote from: Prpl_Mage ---Super Heroes

--- End quote ---

Think this one could be fun too specially when it comes to designing skills and monsters. One pro with this is that if it's "modern" we don't have to remake as much resources.

Also I don't mind you starting again Fish, but I think it would be more fun if someone who hasn't started before did that. If anyone wants to that is.

Prpl_Mage:

--- Quote from: Momeka on January 28, 2019, 12:38:16 PM ---As for themes I do like the stuff we talked about in some other thread (I don't remember which) about mixing things up. There was some idea about a hub area and then each person designed the zones from that. Which I think could be fun but to make it work we would probably have to do away with leveling up heroes so you can visit each zone in any order.

--- End quote ---
I think this is a great idea, probably the simplest of the more "advanced" structures. This was along the lines of one of mine ideas, where stats are locked but sidequests and chapter progress would give you a few stat boosts, or at least hp boosts and skill books and such.

--- Quote ---Another was the idea of doing one based on world building, where one person makes a short game (the size of a chain game chapter) then the next person plays the games and make their own set in the same world. Maybe character crosses path or an npc from another game is the hero in this one etc. In the end we'll do a game selection screen and we'll have this library of games building on and showcasing various aspect of the same world. Should probably limit it somehow, like each game have to take place in the same city to make it more interesting and encourage crossovers.
--- End quote ---

This is also a good idea since then we take some pressure of the participants.

--- Quote ---Another idea I had for a chain game I never got around doing anything with is kinda in the same line as the world building one. But the setting is that a bunch of cowboys/adventurers in a weird west setting is sitting in a saloon telling tall tales. Here too each "chapter" is their own game and instead of being assigned a chapter you get assigned the name of a story like: "Dead Eye Jim and the devils riddle" or "Forlorn Jones in the cursed hollow" and you have to do your game based on the name.

--- End quote ---
Another great idea, seems like it would get more immersive than a chapter select screen, maybe it could also have an ending that way.

Moosetroop11:
I like the idea of a western best - I'm really into the idea of having some cool classes if we go down the traditional rpg route. They had whips, pistols, cannon, swords, bows, knives, horses... I can see a cool gold rush type world where everyone's keen on exploring and exploiting the new land but who knows what dangers are out there.

I also like superheroes but I think that would require a lot more work! Individual characters would have to have a lot of unique stuff based on their power, and also it would possibly tread a little of the ground covered with 'The Dragon'. Still, well up for it.

Time travel would also be fun because it's time travel. Really exploiting the ability to go back and forth in time and giving the players some freedom to move around rather than restricting them to one path might be very fun.

Despite presumably being notorious for being late with my parts of the game, I am up for starting the chain as I haven't done so already, and it might be good fun. Particularly if we go with cowboys; I have plenty of ideas for that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version