Off-Topic > All of all!

So more Final Fantasy?

(1/2) > >>

Prpl_Mage:
Seems like a new FF is in the making. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUTpLyptafY Not sure what to make of it, I kinda expected them to continue with the contemporary/scifi settings which they did. I just kinda miss the old sword and sorcery nowdays.

Also, seems like the FF7 remake is making progress now that FFXV and KH3 are finally done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Df0YG3qfZ8E

Archem:
Final Fantasy kind of lost me with FFX. I remember being so excited for it, but hating it so much when I played it. It didn't help that they followed up with a sequel to FFX and a Final Fantasy MMO. It was a long time before FFXII came along, and by then, I had given up on the series. No idea if it was any good, but I kept hearing bad things. FFXIII was heavily criticized for its linearity, which was something I hated about FFX, so I was happy to skip it. FFXIV was another MMO, so that's a pass. Don't know a thing about FFXV, but you get the idea by now.

Moosetroop11:
I'm still a FF fan. My opinion on X onwards is as follows:

FFX was fantastic, just a bit different to what had come before. They lost many of the classic FF elements but they made a believable world with some loveable characters and amazing music. At the time I liked it less than I do now, but over the years it grew on me. It also has a great endgame with a lot of sidequests that I sort of missed first time round.

FFXII had some serious problems with boring, overly serious characters and a main character who as far as I'm concerned had no real relevance to the events or particular connection to the other characters. In other FFs (including 10) you feel like the party have grown together so close that they have far more than friendship. In FF12, the characters honestly could have gone their separate ways I think no matter how it ended and not thought about each other much afterwards. HOWEVER the world and exploration were really cool and I love that you could go to all sorts of dangerous places from fairly early on and it was just your character's levels that stopped you. There are also some very cool sidequests to find summons which most of the time involve delving deep into a dungeon you already entered as part of the game, but going further into the nastiness, which I liked.

FFXIII gets a lot of hate but I saw it as the first FF since X that was decently character driven. The music was once again powerful and emotive and they really created some memorable moments. I actually played the entire XIII trilogy and enjoyed it all, despite its flaws. I think  lot of people hated that in the original 13 you couldn't visit towns and buy items and stuff. That was fixed by lightning returns but obviously you wouldn't want to just jump straight in there : p

FFXV is a cool road trip style game which is much more open world. If you like the idea of camping each night, getting to know the party, if you think that pulling into your favourite town by car as the sun begins to set or going fishing at dawn for a special fish might be your thing then you'll probably enjoy that part of it. Also there's some return to great FF elements, such as some romance stuff and cool side characters who actually matter. Unfortunately it was never properly finished and when you get to the later stages of the game it's painfully obvious that it was rushed. You get to a point in the game where it's all linear and you have to go 'back in time' with your party to keep exploring the world and to do the endgame sidequests, which I found pretty lame. But I did enjoy it overall.

To give some context, my list is (I think...)

1. FFVII
2. FFVIII
3. FFVI
4. FFIX
5. FFX
6. FFIV
7. FFXV
8. FFXIII
9. FFV
10. FFXII
11. FFIII
12. FFII
13. FFI

Prpl_Mage:

--- Quote from: Archem on May 16, 2019, 07:13:28 PM ---Final Fantasy kind of lost me with FFX. I remember being so excited for it, but hating it so much when I played it. It didn't help that they followed up with a sequel to FFX and a Final Fantasy MMO. It was a long time before FFXII came along, and by then, I had given up on the series. No idea if it was any good, but I kept hearing bad things. FFXIII was heavily criticized for its linearity, which was something I hated about FFX, so I was happy to skip it. FFXIV was another MMO, so that's a pass. Don't know a thing about FFXV, but you get the idea by now.

--- End quote ---

I personally hated FFXII so you didn't really miss much. And I agree that FFX was a bit hard for me to begin with, then it grew on me fast once the game (and the story) gets going.

--- Quote from: Moosetroop11 on May 18, 2019, 01:27:19 PM ---FFXII had some serious problems with boring, overly serious characters and a main character who as far as I'm concerned had no real relevance to the events or particular connection to the other characters. In other FFs (including 10) you feel like the party have grown together so close that they have far more than friendship. In FF12, the characters honestly could have gone their separate ways I think no matter how it ended and not thought about each other much afterwards. HOWEVER the world and exploration were really cool and I love that you could go to all sorts of dangerous places from fairly early on and it was just your character's levels that stopped you. There are also some very cool sidequests to find summons which most of the time involve delving deep into a dungeon you already entered as part of the game, but going further into the nastiness, which I liked.
--- End quote ---
I agree on the characters, most of them were irrelevant to be honest and there was no reliability to why they even stuck together in the first place. There is basically no character development to them and all the events of the game could just as well be played out to a silent nodding protagonist instead. I too liked the world and the style and the hunt quests and the secrets here and there. But there was too much sand and too many boring dungeons like the Rhidona Cataract both up and down. Also the ending felt rushed.

--- Quote ---FFXIII gets a lot of hate but I saw it as the first FF since X that was decently character driven. The music was once again powerful and emotive and they really created some memorable moments. I actually played the entire XIII trilogy and enjoyed it all, despite its flaws. I think  lot of people hated that in the original 13 you couldn't visit towns and buy items and stuff. That was fixed by lightning returns but obviously you wouldn't want to just jump straight in there : p
--- End quote ---
My problem with 13 is the same as FFX and other JRPGs these days. They are too linnear which makes the dungeons boring. It's more like a corridor filled with battles than something you can explore. Now, the dungeons looks cool as hell and gives a cinematic feeling and the characters are always paired up to make character development which is interesting. But the end game was boring, once you reach Gran Pulse and get freedom all of that drops and you start to see the game for what it is. And if you don't bother with Gran Pulse's sidequests the game just kinda ends there as well.

I felt like 13-2 was a good try, but they kept reusing the same areas with different light filters and even though it was about traveling through time it made no difference. Chrono Trigger and some other games were far better at using that to make it interesting. Also, the fact that the game ended with a cliffhanger didn't make me love it more. And the fact that said cliffhanger was completely ignored in the next game made it even worse.
13-3 was really fun to play with the day countdown and sidequests left and right. This one I actually played through several times and on different difficulties because I liked it. I just wish you had party members because it gets kinda lonely and Lightning isn't the most exciting character.

--- Quote ---FFXV is a cool road trip style game which is much more open world. If you like the idea of camping each night, getting to know the party, if you think that pulling into your favourite town by car as the sun begins to set or going fishing at dawn for a special fish might be your thing then you'll probably enjoy that part of it. Also there's some return to great FF elements, such as some romance stuff and cool side characters who actually matter. Unfortunately it was never properly finished and when you get to the later stages of the game it's painfully obvious that it was rushed. You get to a point in the game where it's all linear and you have to go 'back in time' with your party to keep exploring the world and to do the endgame sidequests, which I found pretty lame. But I did enjoy it overall.

--- End quote ---
I think my problem with 15 (besides being rushed) is that you had 3 party members and you had some guests but in the end you did the exact same thing in combat over and over. And for a game that is borderline hack and slash that's a problem. There needed to be more things happening along the game to make combat evolve more to me. The same party members, the same fighting styles etc etc. Also, even though it was open world it felt awfully empty. Most of the items you could find was only used for cooking either way and you could buy food at the dinners unless you wanted something super special.

Apex:
So I'm guessing no one watched the video to the end?

It says April Fools.

I've been playing the crap out of FFXIV lately, it's a blast. As an MMO though it's a big investment of time to see and do most things.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version