Game Creation > RPG Maker

Paradise-1

<< < (5/6) > >>

Momeka:
I really should stop changing the game over screen, you can't even die yet.

Momeka:
Got started working on the stuff I actually should be finishing up. The battle system!

I remade the menus since the old stuff was outdated. Since it's no longer a jam game I wanted to put some more work into the battle system. Try to make it more than just a turn based menu combat.
The enemy will slowly start creeping up to you before they attack. You can interrupt them with your own attacks, the weakest just pushes them back a bit. While a strong attack (that cost resources to use) might push them back all the way. If you're short on health you might instead take the opportunity to try and heal yourself. Or use one of the more valuable damage items to dispatch of the enemy quickly.
The goal is to make the battles (and the game as whole) about resource management. Conserving your valuable items and health for when it really matters. The battles should always be a last resort and the player should feel like they have to do their best to avoid them whenever possible.

Prpl_Mage:
I really like that game over screen, however being a survival game I bet I'll have to see it a couple of times. So might get on some people's nerve.

And I really like the idea with the battle. I remember in that old PC rpg Septerra Core there were some enemies that didn't just attack you from their position but rather used their turns to move closer to a character and once they got there they usually have some sinister attacks like life steal or paralyzis etc. It gives a different feel since you need to take that momentum into account. And that's something that I like in survival games, having to think of how to achieve something with the least risk and/or time depending on the situation.
Also really like the static effect on the background.

Fisherson:

--- Quote from: Momeka on November 03, 2019, 07:32:26 PM ---Got started working on the stuff I actually should be finishing up. The battle system!

I remade the menus since the old stuff was outdated. Since it's no longer a jam game I wanted to put some more work into the battle system. Try to make it more than just a turn based menu combat.
The enemy will slowly start creeping up to you before they attack. You can interrupt them with your own attacks, the weakest just pushes them back a bit. While a strong attack (that cost resources to use) might push them back all the way. If you're short on health you might instead take the opportunity to try and heal yourself. Or use one of the more valuable damage items to dispatch of the enemy quickly.
The goal is to make the battles (and the game as whole) about resource management. Conserving your valuable items and health for when it really matters. The battles should always be a last resort and the player should feel like they have to do their best to avoid them whenever possible.

--- End quote ---

That mechanic of having a figure shamble towards you and having a strategy CBS actions to push it back....That is genius and also I feel rife for jump scares or other twitches to try and unnerve the player. Combine that with an odd ambience to help unsettle them  XD Though I bet programming the AI to not overwhelm the player will be a bitch. ^^;;

Momeka:

--- Quote from: Prpl_Mage on November 03, 2019, 07:50:41 PM ---I really like that game over screen, however being a survival game I bet I'll have to see it a couple of times. So might get on some people's nerve.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I haven't added the menu options yet. But they will be there from the start, so you can quickly move on. You won't have to sit through the animation.

Enemies can now die. Currently they are really weak.

Also damage numbers, yay or nay? Part of me wants it for feedback on how effective your attacks are. But another part of me feels it's not that fitting in a survival "horror".

Edit: Bonus zombie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version