Off-Topic > All of all!

Free games on steam

(1/2) > >>

Prpl_Mage:
So I noticed you could get the Tomb Raider reboot on Steam for free, and that some other games have some limited free to play.
Do you know if anything is worth trying?

Archem:
You mean anything free on Steam, or anything in particular? You mentioned Tomb Raider, which is a good game. Temple of Osiris is a good co-op game, but the PC version is a troubled port. Free's good, though, but Guardian of Light, the previous game in the spin-off series, is a better port. Beypnd that, there are a number of free to play games that exist, like Valve's games (Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike GO, Dota 2), Bungie made Destiny 2 free, Path of Exile's a quality Diablo clone, Smite's a fun MOBA with a third-person over-the-shoulder camera, Brawlhalla's a fun Smash Bros. clone, and there's a bunch of other games that exist in the F2P market that are good. If you're asking about games that happen to be free right now, I'm not super-familiar with them. I know the complete Half-Life series was free for a few weeks, but that train has left the station by now. Some friends mentioned that Goat of Duty is discounted 100% right now, and  it's basically Quake 3, but with goats. Drawful 2 is free, and is fantastic if you have friends and phones. I've been playing it with friends through Discord by just using the screen share feature, and it works great.

Meanwhile, if you aren't already familiar with the Epic Games store, they have free games (to keep forever) on their platform that changes every week. Sometimes it's indie games, sometimes it's AAA titles, and sometimes it's more than one game. I haven't spent a single cent on the store, but I have a pretty big list of games owned, which is nice. Right now, they have Watch_Dogs and The Stanley Parable on there for free. They had Celeste for free at one point, and even though I already owned the game, I figured "hey, it's free", and grabbed it then. I also bought it again, so I now own it on Switch, Steam, and Epic, and have beaten it multiple times on each platform, because it's one of my favorite games ever.

Sorry, got off on a tangent about Celeste. If you haven't played it yet, you should play it. Man, this is a weird, rambling response. I think I should go to bed, because this feels unfocused.

Prpl_Mage:
I think I may need to grab Celeste. I just fear it will be too skillful for me, like my problem with Super Meat boy

Momeka:
Haven't played that much lately, but bought the new Doom and played over the weekend. It's fun, I can recommend it, but it's probably better to wait awhile. Encountered corrupted saves and some crashes, kinda annoying.

Archem:

--- Quote from: Prpl_Mage on March 23, 2020, 05:39:34 PM ---I think I may need to grab Celeste. I just fear it will be too skillful for me, like my problem with Super Meat boy

--- End quote ---
As someone once put it, it's the hardest game that anyone can finish. The skill ceiling is pretty high, but the game is very clever about teaching you advanced mechanics, training you to use them successfully, and having the most gradual difficulty curve it can possibly have. My realization of this was when, about a year ago, I watched a speedrun of the game and had no clue what was happening. Then, a few months ago, I watched another one and realized that literally everything I saw was within my skill set, just very highly polished. It's wild how well the game helps you to get good. One of the biggest things it has going for it is that it separates the levels into A-sides, B-sides, and C-sides, with all the story being on the A-sides, and the real challenge coming from the B and C-sides.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version