Off-Topic > All of all!

Quarantine 2020

(1/6) > >>

Zerlina:
Wondering if everyone is safe and how you're all holding up. Also curious how they're dealing with the outbreak around the world.

Here in Canada we're pretty much locked down. Only hospitals and groceries are still open. Some takeouts and drive-ins too. But everything else is closed. It's very strange. The highways which are normally backed up all day are completely empty.

My work shut down on Tuesday, and pretty much every other production is closed down now too. My friends in other writing rooms have either been laid off or put on hiatus "until further notice." Netflix went first, then all the Canadian shows. It's pretty grim here. 

The grocery stores are interesting. There are people observing distancing, but then other people who are really belligerent, pushing past people and filling in gaps, it seems, to prove a point. A clerk had to go around the store reminding people to keep apart from each other. The shelves are empty in some parts and not in others. Lots of fresh vegetables, but things like beans, potatoes, rice, pickles, and canned goods are gone. 

But on the bright side, the parks here are huge (lots of woods, hills, and rivers), and people are going outside more. I definitely see more people at the park. Of course we all keep very far away from each other (more than 10m, the gov't suggestion being 2m), and we don't touch anything. We're hoping they won't ban going outside altogether (like they have in my sister's city). Until then this is keeping everyone sane. Though I did get called at by a lady on her balcony who was asking how it is outside-- apparently a lot of people are in self-isolation and can only stick their heads out windows or go on their balconies if they have them. I feel really bad for them.

Fisherson:
Here in Tennesse, yeah I'm telling ya'll where I live roughly that oughta tell you how bad it is, the sensible people are obeying the lockdown but we have some less-than-sensible people too. Like our Governor who only just recently issued the orders necessary to stop fools from spreading this virus by being sociable despite the warnings. -.-; Never voting for that man again. Mom was showing signs yesterday but she's better now I'm hoping it was just stress. I am able to stay online because the library offered to let check the hot spot out again but only for another week then the library is closed until this passes I imagine....I'll be without online content and probably back to a crappy phone-based hot spot for a bit then shortly after a descent into insanity where I replay all my old chain game collections then make an interactive charas where we're all alive and living in a simulation when trolls attack or something that I'll never finish as Juno was the only game "I" ever managed to finish making...Probably also rewatch my massive library of TV shows and read some of the manga I have stacked up.

Archem:
Things are pretty similar in the Houston area. Lots of businesses are closed; my work closed its doors on Monday, and a couple of days later, our congressman declared that such businesses would be required to close until further notice anyway. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do about money since so many places are either closed or are being slammed with applications. Grocery stores are packed, and they all have shortened business hours. The only things that seem to still be in stock are produce and non-essentials. For some reason, ice cream seems to be getting cleaned out, and I can't figure out why. We're not exactly in lock-down mode, as the cases haven't gotten too bad here yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if that changes in a week or two.

Prpl_Mage:
We're a small country where our most populated city houses less than a million people and way less crowded than other cities regardless. But our reaction has kinda been like the UK. Don't want to act to soon to risk upsetting the economy too much.
So no lock down really. All the office type jobs have moved on to working from home, digital workplace and all that jazz. Stores are still open although sales are terrible and people are being laid off. For some reason people believed that food would run out and did the stockpile dance. What they don't realize is that half of the canned food we sell are leftovers from the second world war... So there's plenty more where that came from.

Elementary school and daycare are still running, upper secondary school (where I work) decided to jump on the distance teaching so we're all doing our work from home.

But libraries are open. Museums, cinemas and such only accept a limited amount of people and we have strict one use-one clean rules at the gym.

I guess we'll just have to see if this works out or if it turns into a disaster.

Alex:
I am in Venice Italy, so as you probably heard, right in the middle of this storm.
We're currently in "super lockdown", as by today also every non-essential service/factory had been closed as well. FACTORIES, not only stores.
Being a computer guy this isn't really affecting my life that much: but the mood all around is just... strange.

Italy is a place normally packed with tourists. Venice, probably even more than other places. So it is so rare to be able to see such places as they look right now. In some way, it's also beautiful.
But there are people suffering and dying too.

Well, if I may, let me share a kinda nice video created about how Venice looks like today. "Kinda" because it's beautiful, but also so.... blue.
Here it is:
https://vimeo.com/398341163

Everyone, stay safe!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version