Game Creation > RPG Maker

How newbie friendly is RPG Maker?

(1/1)

Baltazaar:
Hi!
So here is a thing. I need an honest opinion, is RPG Maker good for a newbie like myself? I am a gamer, and I love (and live for) RPG games. During the last few years, I have been having some ideas that I would write down and hide in my drawer. But perhaps it is time to try and make a game out of the notes? Even if just for myself. RPG Maker seems like a good fit for me but is it really? I have no idea about programming so I am essentially looking forward to software doing that for me. Will it work?

Prpl_Mage:
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Personally I would say that 2003 is very noob friendly if you are just going for what the engine offers. I started working with this tool when I was 14 or something and managed to make a (crappy) game without too much issue.
Event commands and most pieces of programming are set choices with drop down menus and such, so as long as you know where to look you'll find what you want.

However, the later versions of rpgm (mv or something) allows you to import codes into the maker which basically means you can find code online and use that.

If you're not interested in making a rpg game then Gamemaker is a good tool for other things, like rpgm 2003 and the rest of the series it is more user friendly, but this time by having a bit of a drag and drop system to structure your objects. So better suited for action games or space shooters and such.

That's not to say you can't do more creative things with 2003, but it just takes a bit more effort. But in the end you can make cool stuff like our good friend Momeka has proven with his games:
https://goblin-grotto.itch.io/

Moosetroop11:
I'd say it's very user friendly yes, a lot of us started when we were quite young : ) It was a bit of a revelation to me at the time, just being able to make a character walk around!

Momeka:

--- Quote from: Prpl_Mage on April 25, 2022, 05:47:07 PM ---That's not to say you can't do more creative things with 2003, but it just takes a bit more effort. But in the end you can make cool stuff like our good friend Momeka has proven with his games:
https://goblin-grotto.itch.io/

--- End quote ---

Thanks, man :]

I'm pretty sure it's a bot though, it got a suspicious link on the website icon.

But in the very slim case it's not, at this point I would pick up GameMaker, Unity, or Godot. They are way more open to whatever kind of game you want to make. And it's also a small introduction to programming. And if you enjoy that you can move on to programming your own games.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version